Thursday, July 15, 2010

Where Does the Summer Go?

Anyone who thinks teachers just laze around for 3 months in the summer haven't got a clue.  First, we don't get 3 months off--more like 10 weeks, that's if you don't count the days for curriculum writing and summer workshops.  Then if you add in teaching summer school for 4 weeks...well, now I am down to about 5 weeks.  Yeah, I know that sounds like a lot of vacation time, but I am responsible for over 120 middle school students between ages 11-14 every day.  Want to trade?

Anyway, I was reading one of my favorite blogs, Leah Day's "365 Days of Free Motion Filler Quilting Designs," and she was talking about all the things she wants to and has to get done.  I know the feeling.

I wish I had the time to learn to do everything and be good at it too!  In addition to wanting to get better at machine quilting, I love to do hand quilting, crochet, cross stitch...  I want to get better at machine embroidery and maybe make some money with that.  Here's a pic of the linen towel I made for my mom:

I want to learn how to do Tambour work, which is a type of chain stitching on netting.

I want to learn to speak Farsi (Persian) and would like to improve my French.  And I would like the opportunity to speak both languages with native speakers.

I wish I had time to read ALL the books I would like to read--books for fun and ones to stretch my brain. I bought  some new ones on the science of baking this summer that I want to explore further and then actually get to make some of the recipes.  This has a professional purpose as well as a personal one.

There just never seem to be enough hours in the day to do EVERYTHING!!  So I guess, then I should just concentrate on doing the things I can do and try to add a few new ones along the way.

To that end, I am off to brouse through my modern Persian book and listen to the CD's.  And maybe later, I will take a look at my "Baking Illustrated" book (or should I say tome).

TTFN,
Vickie

No comments:

Post a Comment