Friday, January 8, 2010

Inspiring Future Quilters & Fiber Artists

I'm Vickie. I've been a Middle School FACS teacher for about 12 years. I came back to teaching in my mid-40's because as a single mother, I was afraid my son Jared would be grown and gone and I would have missed it all working. Yeah, I'm still a working mom, but at least I get home earlier most nights, and I've had a few weeks in the summer off to actually spend time with him. (Well, he doesn't have as much time for me since his girlfriend replaced me.)

Oh, for those of you who don't know, "FACS" is what used to be called "Home Economics."

I absolutely love what I do--both working with middle schoolers and teaching FACS! There is nothing so rewarding as hearing students say, "This tastes great!," or "Look what I made!"

The idea to start blogging was inspired by two very different women: Leah Day of "365 Days of Free Motion Quilting Filler Designs" and Susan of "Hanging on by a Needle and Thread."

Leah is 20-something mother of an adorable young son who has vowed to design a free-motion filler design for every day of one year. Wow! What an undertaking! And in just a few months, she has created more than one hundred designs. Hopefully, I will be able to do all of them one day.

Susan is more of my generation--old enough to be a mother and grandmother (although, I started on the mother thing late, so still no grandkids for me--besides, I'm really TOO young to be a grandma yet!) Not only does is Susan doing some great quilts, she also introduced me to the "skip stitch" blade for my rotary cutter. I am so excited to be able to do more quick and easy blankets for "Project Linus."

I have been trying to get students interested in doing quilts for Project Linus for a couple of years, even providing all the equipment and materials out of my own pocket. I just can't seem to get them interested in something that takes a while, but they don't get a grade or extra credit for.

Anyway, I got my "skip stitch" blade in the mail yesterday and have already bought some remnants of fleece and as soon as I get the baby-weight yarn tonight, I am going to try my hand at those really cute and easy crochet-edged baby blankets.

My mom, Yvonne, likes quick crochet projects she can do in the winter when it is too cold to hang out in the yard. I don't know how many crocheted hanger covers she has made over the years. I wonder why I have never been on the receiving end of those hangers? Maybe 'cause she knows I can crochet and should be able to make my own. When will I ever have time to do that?

Anyway, my goal is to make some blankets myself for Project Linus, get some students to do it, too (I know single crochet is not that hard to learn), and also get my mom to make some, too. I mean, how many crocheted hangers does a person really need?

So, that's my first post! I am off to the sewing machine to do something fun. Yayyyyy for snow days!

Happy sewing and quilting!

Vickie

2 comments:

  1. Just stopped by to say Hi and have a look/see. I miss doing needlework and crocheting, but my shoulders and arms can't do it anymore. I hope you get lots of bloggers. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Vickie ~

    Okay, I'm 1/3 Swedish...what is Swedish embroidery? And, those hangars? My mom
    made those for me when I was in Columbia.
    Do people still really make those??

    I enjoyed reading what you had to say about
    your grandmothers...my grandmothers were great "sew-ers" or "needle artists"...particularly, my maternal grandmother who made complete coats not to mention awesome Barbie clothes! And, of course, my paternal grandmother, being more
    staid, made crocheted those great doilies and tablecloths.

    I remember all the sewing you did...

    ReplyDelete